"The first of a series of club events which the golf committee of the Indian Spring club has arranged for the entertainment of the members of that organization occurred yesterday. Sixty-four players, divided into foursomes were arranged in two teams under the captaincy of Tom Moore, president of the club, and Basil M. Manly, and competed in a round of eighteen holes."
|Indian Spring Country Club in 1937 as a 36-hole course. The Four Corners intersection is at the top of the photo. The fence line seen at bottom is the back of the lots facing Indian Spring Drive. Image from Craig Disher's site The Lost Courses of the Capital Area.|
|The YMCA building was formerly the clubhouse of ISCC. While altered and modernized, the stone clubhouse building remains largely intact. Photo by the author.|
Kay originally planned to develop the entire course into a subdivision, but decided to preserve an 18 hole course on the site so that members of the Jewish community could have a place to golf (they were barred from other clubs at the time due to prejudice). Kay's new Indian Spring Club Estates subdivision was approximately one third Jewish according to Saul Mindel, president of Montgomery Lodge B’nai B’rith in the 1940's. While Jews were permitted to become members of Indian Spring, African Americans and other racial minorities would remain barred from the club until the mid-1960's, after it left Four Corners.
The extent of the course after it's 1940 downsizing is seen in the 1957 aerial image below.
|Indian Spring Country Club in 1957, the same year the club relocated to Glenmont. Image from USDA.|
The Silver Spring YMCA took control of the clubhouse, pool, and recreation facilities immediately upon the departure of the golf club, but the fairways were left to become overgrown.
|Old Bladensburg Road being widened and converted to University Boulevard in 1958. The recently closed Indian Spring Country Club is at left. Image from the D.C. Historical Society via Ken Hawkins.|
|The former golf course in 1963. Image from USGS.|
|The former golf course in 1993. Image from Montgomery County.|